Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sourcing Local Foods

In my search for locally grown and produced foods, I was referred to the Arizona Farm Bureau (AZFB). Julie, the Director of Public Relations for AZFB, excitedly directed me to FillYourPlate.org. FillYourPlate.org lists local member farms and producers who will sell to you - not just to the grocers.

Once you are at the Fill Your Plate site, you can search by the product you are seeking, as well as by city or even zip code. Once the list comes up, you can double-click on the name of the farmer/grower/producer and a box will pop up with contact information and, in some cases, a little blurb about them.

I had no idea there were so many food products grown in this area. From eggs to herbs to fruit to flowers to shrimp. Yes, I said SHRIMP grown in Arizona. I am completely blown away and have contacted the shrimp farm, requesting a tour. I'll update the blog after touring the place. I can't wait!

I'm also in contact with a producer of all-natural, locally grown pork called The Meat Shop. They don't have a website yet, but I'll post as soon as they do. Tim, the owner of The Meat Shop, is on board for a local "dinner party" or "neighborhood bbq" that I am planning, consisting of all locally grown foods and highlighting the growers and producers. To fill your freezer with this delicious, all-natural pork, contact Tim at 602.751.8756 or tjwelder@cox.net.

Eat Local! Your food will be fresher, tastier, and less expensive than having it shipped in from somewhere else - AND - your dollars will stay in your community.


No comments: